Russian version

English version

Friday, 7 August 2015

FILM TALK. Kingsman: The Secret Service (2015)

Kingsman The Secret Service film poster Colin Firth It's a bulldog, ain't it
It's a bulldog, ain't it?
I don't know how it happened, but I watched Kingsman the other day. I refused to watch it when everybody else did, because judging by the trailer it wasn't my jam. You know, all the hype, special effects and Colin Firth exploitation. Oh, and fights – not into those. Now why I did watch the film eventually... It may sound silly, and  it is silly of me, but I was scrolling down Evelina's instagram feed, as you do, and saw this picture of her Beautycon outfit inspired by Gazelle (a character from the film). That was when I knew the day had come. By the end of that day I had watched Kingsman, and thank you Evelina, for it turned out better than I could have expected.
If you are reading this and wondering whether or not the film is worthy – it is! It's that kind of film no one would regret watching. There are quite a few things I loved and very few details I didn't like as much and I couldn't give the film less than 8 out of 10. And I am REALLY picky with what I watch. Now let's talk about all of it more specifically and try to do so spoiler free, shall we?
Kingsman: The Secret Service 2015 Galahad Eggsy film
The film is set in Great Britain, which automatically means two things: British humour and manners. And I absolutely love how they are portrayed in Kingsman. The way the agents talk, hold themselves, use their "weapons" (you know, umbrella, lighter, pen – the classics) determines the style of the fight scenes – they are very delicate, "guts everywhere" don't happen hence Valentine the super-villain (Samuel L. Jackson’s character), ironically enough, can't stand the sight of blood, and that, my friend, is what makes this movie stand out from others in the genre. As much as I hate fights and blood and violence, I wholeheartedly enjoyed watching all that in Kingsman! Galahad's (Colin Firth) "Manners maketh man" in this case may as well be interpreted as "Manners maketh movie". I also like the phrase "Kingsman is like 50 shades of grace". Puts everything into place.
Oh, and the culmination scene! It could have been the most disgusting scene in the history of cinematography, but how stylish and graceful it is! Genius direction from Matthew Vaughn here, seriously. 10/10 for stylistic solution. (Jeff Wadlow could have learnt a few tricks for Kick-Ass 2 and prevent it from being the grossest piece of shit, just saying. It's personal.)
Galahad in the fight Kingsman: The Secret Service Colin Firth 2015
As for the weaker parts of the film, I'd say evolution of the main character, Eggsy, is too straightforward and sudden. Ok, he has the right blood running in his veins, dignity and "enough Kingsman material" for a gentleman secret agent kind of personality, but the change in his lifestyle could have been shown more sharply. We see him "get it" right away, take it all for granted and act as though he has been familiar with all things Kingsman for a good lifetime.
The characters often refer to classic movies of the genre in their conversations, so we see some clichés in this film too. Charlie, for example, the main character's antagonist, or Eggsy's mother's boyfriend and his gang. Plus, it's easy to see which character will get off the storyline soon, as all the characters are clearly divided into main and supporting. Strangely, Eggsy's mother belongs to the latter, she stays unaware and sort of in the dark during the whole film. We don't see much of their relationship in the family at all, and it feels a bit disturbing.
Kingsman: The Secret Service Eggsy Taron Egerton 2015 movie
I enjoyed the evolution of Galahad, though, it develops very gradually with up and coming details and we get to know what he's really like right in time. We see his influence on Eggsy, who by the end of the film inherits Kingsman legacy, I dig it, but again – he's twenty-something and he's got sass, so come on! We don't want pure legacy, give us the self-assured cocky lad that he is! MORE SASS. In a British manner, of course.
Kingsman: The Secret Service Eggsy fight scene Taron Egerton 2015 movie
I guess that's all I wanted to say about Kingsman. Let's rewind:
  • 8/10;
  • stylistically brilliant;
  • cool storyline with a few twists, not too predictable;
  • aesthetically pleasing fight scenes;
  • Colin Firth and Mark Strong;
  • highly recommended.
PS: However gorgeous Princess Tilde's ass is, it was uncalled for. Imho.

Have you watched Kingsman? Did you like it? Do you share my opinion on the culmination scene? I find it absolutely brilliant :)
I hope you liked this little film talk that we just had. I've always wanted to do it and somehow never did, and I can't wait to make the next one!